The current fact sheet presents summarized information on key energy sector governance challenges, state of electricity sector liberalisation, financial ratios of leading energy companies and progress of energy acquis implementation. The data is based on the SELDI Regional Energy Governance and State Capture Assessment Report (2016), the European Energy Community Progress Report (2015) and the Progress Report on the Implementation of the Energy Acquis of the European Energy Community (2015). The authors make several policy recommendations:
• Energy transport companies to allow access to the transportation network to other gas or electricity suppliers on a
• The suppliers to apply the regulated fees consistently in order not to abuse their dominant market position.
• Ensure the independence of the national regulator.
• Establish rules to enable the functioning of retail markets including ease the procedures for supplier switching.
• Improve transparency in the management of SOEs and the energy sector in general.