The current fact sheet presents summarized information on key energy sector governance challenges, state of electricity sector liberalisation, financial ratios of leading energy companies and progress of energy acquis implementation. The data is based on the SELDI Regional Energy Governance and State Capture Assessment Report (2016), the European Energy Community Progress Report (2015) and the Progress Report on the Implementation of the Energy Acquis of the European Energy Community (2015). The authors make several policy recommendations:
• Improve security of supply.
• Strengthen ERC independence with reforms which include competitive election of members.
• Rotate presidency of the ERC among commissioners.
• The requirements for applicants for the post of Commissioner need to be based on more transparent criteria.
• Establish better cooperation between the ERC and the energy community.